COVID-19: Jakarta suspends schools, exams for two weeks – city

| |

The Jakarta government will close schools across the city and suspend exams for two weeks from Monday to prevent the further spread of 2019 Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the capital.

“The Jakarta government has decided to close all schools in the city. All students will learn through distance learning, ”said Jakarta governor Anies Baswedan during a press conference at City Hall on Saturday.

“The national exam for vocational students, scheduled to start on Monday, and school exams will also be suspended.”

The governor further said that the administration would review the policy at the end of the second week of the suspension, depending on how the COVID-19 situation developed.

Read also: Some schools in Jakarta close for fear of COVID-19

The decision was made after a Saturday meeting between several healthcare organizations, including the Indonesian Doctors Association (IDI) and Indonesian Pediatrician Association (IDAI), and a WHO representative in Indonesia, N. Paranietharan, who shared a video of the meeting connected call.

Anies also suggested that non-formal educational institutions switch to distance learning to prevent the spread of the corona virus in the city.

He added that the administration had coordinated with the Ministry of Education and Culture on the closure of schools and the suspension of exams. The provincial administration will prepare the learning materials so that they are ready by Monday.

According to the administration, there are 1.5 million students in Jakarta. 124,000 of them are 12th Elementary school students taking final exams.

“Few children have tested positive for COVID-19. However, they can be carriers [of the virus] and infect adults, ”said Anies. “In addition, adults who bring their children to school can also be infected. So we have to lower the risk. “

Read also: Outbreak of the outbreak: COVID-19 patient flees from the isolation station in Jakarta

Jakarta had previously decided to temporarily close several of the administration’s tourist destinations and entertainment venues, including Ancol Dreamland Park, Ragunan Zoo, and the National Monument. Weekly car-free day on Jl. Sudirman and Jl. MH Thamrin was also suspended for two weeks.

“We are not blocking off Jakarta. However, we urge all citizens to be responsible for our health, ”said the governor.

The government announced on Saturday that the number of people who have been confirmed to have received COVID-19 has increased to 96, five of whom died from the disease. (mfp)

.

Previous

Coronavirus: What Happens in Canada and Around the World on Saturday?

Due to the coronavirus, Apple closed all its stores outside China until March 27

Next

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.